One of the most valuable things we ever did at Casual was define our values. This helped us to understand exactly who to employ and promote, and who was not quite right and might do better elsewhere. It is amazing how many business problems stem from people problems. Get the values right and so many things take care of themselves - particularly for a services business.
How did we do that?
1. With management write down the attributes that make each of your 5-star/top performers great.
2. Which of these are shared?
3. Condense these to around 5 main ones which don't overlap too much.
4. Assess all staff against these values. Do they exhibit them: most of the time? Some of the time? None of the time?
5. Have a conversation with each staff member discussing the values and their grading. Be honest.
6. Help them to understand what they need to do to exhibit the values most of the time.
7. This gives you a clear framework to help challenging employees to succeed. Give them time to come back with examples.
8. If they can't get there, be prepared to say that this is not the right place for them - the ones who do fit will flourish.
9. Follow through. Recruit, incentivise and promote those who exhibit the values.
10. Over time this should build a strong and thriving culture.
You can read more about the Casual Films team Great People.
What attributes make our Casual Filmers great?
Passionate about making our clients happy
There are lots of ways you could choose to have your project produced. We’re extremely grateful that our clients choose us. In gratitude, we employ people who are naturally passionate about delivering and delighting those who made that choice.
Can-do and proactive
Filmmaking is about continual problem solving. We require our staff to think on their feet and act on initiative. Our team are solution focused, taking much of the weight off you, our clients.
Team spirited and accountable
We work closely together so that you get the benefit of the experience and skill of our whole crew. We hire and promote people who show the personal leadership required to happily take accountability for their actions.
Doing more with less
We produce work which our clients believe is tangibly more effective. To do this, every penny invested needs to show in the final product. We are only able to do this by employing staff who think creatively and with thrift.
Open and positive
Video production is not the most important job in the world, but it might be one of the best. The process of working with Casual should be enjoyable for everyone involved. Having a positive mindset, even at a 4am call time, is central to this.